Aquatic therapy provides a wide range of patients the opportunity to gain functional improvements by using a medium that lessens physical stress. It is able to accomplish this by unloading and therefore protecting the weight bearing joints of the body, which therefore allows patients to tolerate physical activity.
We offer Aquatic Therapy at our Plaquemine and Zachary locations.
Call 225-238-2955 (plaquemine) or 225-654-8208 (zachary) for your appointment today.
Why should you choose water?
- The buoyancy of water decreases the weight bearing load across joints to allow performance of exercises that are otherwise too difficult on land.
- The hydrostatic pressure of water is exerted equally across all submerged surfaces at rest which helps to decrease swelling and offset blood pooling into the lower extremities.
- The warmth of the water facilitates pain relief and encourages muscle relaxation which further eases movement.
Benefits of Aquatic Therapy for Outpatient Rehabilitation
- Early intervention
- Decreased compressive loading to painful joints
- Prevention of overtraining in athletic populations
- Overall strengthening, including postural muscles for core stabilization
- Weight loss
- Improved physical endurance from increased proficiency of both the cardiovascular and respiratory systems
- Increased flexibility and decreased stiffness of joints
- Decreased swelling
- Increased balance
- Increased functional gains
- Increased psychological gains
- Increased quality of life
Specifically designed to improve flexibility and mobility throughout the body, this program concentrates on improved back strength and endurance, posture and body mechanics, as well as improved pelvic and shoulder girdle stability, education and training.
General Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Designed to improve cardiovascular endurance and general strength, this rehabilitation also provides specific flexibility, strength, and stability training to the affected joints.
Arthritis conditioning develops functional range of motion, strength, and endurance without overstressing sore, stiff, and/or swollen joints.
Sports Specific Rehabilitation
This program focuses on strength; agility and coordination needed to prepare an athlete for a given sport. It also maintains fitness and skills while the athlete is injured.
Total Hip/Knee Replacement
This program aids in the recovery due to early intervention and reduced stress to the joint while exercising.
Our program utilizes the warmth and buoyancy of water to improve coordinated rhythmic movement and restore function.
Who can benefit from aquatic therapy?
- Individuals suffering arthritic conditions or fibromyalgia
- Orthopedic injuries including the shoulder, hip, knee, and ankle joints
- Post-surgical patients after a total hip or knee replacement
- Prenatal and post partum women
- Pediatric population with neurological involvement (ex: cerebral palsy)
- Individuals who need cardiac fitness
- Patients suffering from chronic pain disorders
- Neurological injuries which prevent exercise on land secondary to fatigue, impaired strength, pain, or immobility
- Post traumatic individuals who have difficulty walking or are using an assistive device
- Spinal dysfunctions that are limited with exercise secondary to compression or pain