What Is Occupational Therapy?
Moreau Physical Therapy offers Occupational Therapy services at the following locations:
- Baton Rouge: Sherwood Forest and Perkins Road
- New Orleans
Occupational therapy assists people throughout their lives who need specialized assistance to lead independent, productive, and satisfying lives due to social, developmental, physical or emotional problems. Our occupational therapists help children with disabilities to participate fully in school, help people regain work or life skills after injury, and provide support for older adults experiencing physical and cognitive changes.
Occupational therapists evaluate each patient and develop an individualized plan to improve, recover, or maintain the daily living and work skills of persons by improving independence and participation in daily activities. This can be acheived by various treatment techniques such as therapeutic exercise, manual therapy, physical modalities, adapting to the environment, modifying a task, teaching a skill, and patient/family education.
What Types Of Services Does Occupational Therapy Provide?
- Comprehensive evaluations of the client’s home and other environments (e.g., workplace, school)
- Recommendations for adaptive equipment and training
- Customized intervention to improve a person’s ability to perform activities of daily living
- Guidance and education for family members and caregivers
- Progress evaluation to ensure that goals are met and make changes to the interventional plan
Occupational therapy practitioners have a holistic perspective, in which the focus is on adapting the environment to fit the person, and the person is an integral part of the therapy team.